Sunday, April 22, 2012

Naps!!!

Lucas has always been an amazing sleeper! He started sleeping through the night right at 2 months and has been a wonderful napper too.

 I followed the 2, 3, 4 method when he was little and it has always seemed to work for him. He would wake up about 7a, take his first nap around 9a, take his second around 1-2p, and go to bed at 7:30p. It's been amazing. He's slept in his crib since he was 10 days old and has always slept in a pack 'n play at the sitter and at my mom's, so he's always slept good when we traveled. He's always been able to go down sleepy but still awake, and put himself to sleep. We've definitely been lucky.

 Obviously, we've had some hard times too. At times when he's teething or sick, he hasn't slept well. Sometimes changes in schedule make him sleep worse, too. And of course, Sundays are always strange. He won't sleep in the nursery, so he usually falls asleep on the way home and sleeps 2 hours in the middle of the day and been fine.

 He's 15 months old now and the past few days, he's only been sleeping 40 minutes at a time and waking up crying. He still sleeps great at night and wakes up in the morning happy and talking:) So, I know if he's waking up crying, something's not right.

 Most things I've read say he might be ready for one nap instead of two now. I'm fine with that. It's usually one long one in the middle of the day, right? Well, how do I transition? What if he falls asleep on the way home from church? Do I not put him straight to his crib? Do I wake him up when I get him out, let him play, feed him lunch, then put him down early afternoon?

 HELP!!!!! I don't know what to do. I know it's probably going to be a little difficult and very different, but I think I welcome this change. It will give us a little more flexibility in our schedule and help us plan a little better too. I just don't know how to do it!!!

 I'd appreciate all the advice you can give. This is one of the reasons I love to blog...to be able to talk to all you moms who have gone before me...who have made it through this transition period and lived to tell about it. Tell me all about it:)

2 comments:

Erin said...

You are RIGHT about having way more freedom after kissing that morning nap goodbye! When Emery was about Lucas' age, she started showing signs that it was time to drop that 9am nap. At the time, she was taking a 9am nap and a 2pm nap...so we just bumped that afternoon nap up to about noon (after lunch, though). The older she got, the closer we could push it to 1pm or 2pm. It took about three weeks to really figure it all out, and sometimes I'd still put her down for a short morning nap during those three weeks if she seemed extra tired. Anyway, good luck! It was a much easier transition that I'd anticipated. I bet Lucas will do great as usual! :)

Mallory Mikel said...

Heidi use to take multiple naps, but when I started her on one nap a day it was great. I would always put her down after she ate lunch and she usually slept for about 3-4 hours. She still takes a nap after lunch, but it is about for 2 hours now.